[students’ journal] May 2016

20 May 2016

What is it like to be a student at BBS? Here is where they have their say on campus life, tips of Bologna, and much more. Written by and for the Students.

Read here the other posts published.

Inspiration

“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters in the end.”

– Ernest Hemingway

It all started when I applied to a school in an unknown world. Little did I know that this one step would change the course of my life. When I started writing for the journal, I was thinking “What is the best part of BBS?” Well, it is not only the “school” in itself or the “courses”, but the people that manages it, that study next to me and those who live it.

I got a chance to listen to many important people of various industries, which I could not even dream of before. For example: Andrea Pontremoli – CEO of Dallara Automobili, Maurizio Reggiani – R&D Director in Lamborghini, Fabio Zaffagnini – Creator of Rockin’1000, among many more.

Maurizio Arrivabene – Team Principal of Scuderia Ferrari and Managing Director of the Gestione Sportiva – said “We don’t need heroes. We need normal people. People, who are humble, dedicated and determined”.

In the last few months, I have made some really good friends. I have met some really inspirational people. Some of them struggled with life threatening diseases and won, others faced tremendous troubles in their lives and chose not to give up while fighting for their beliefs. I also have met people who turned the pages of their past to start a new one, choosing to smile every day and dream big to do what they love to do. I have a long list!

I have learnt something from each one of my classmates, meaning 70 new things. Those things have changed the perspective of how I look at life and happiness. I hope to keep learning and being inspired from them now and in the future!

Aditi Tiwari – India
Global MBA in Innovation Management / Mechanics & Automation., class 2015/2016

May 6th, 2016

A coffee to go, please.

Having been in Italy for six months I cannot help but notice one particular stark contrast from my American home. What stands out most to me here is how Italians are just naturally cool and generally calm when ordering coffee.

Just to illustrate an example: in America, when you go inside a Starbucks, there is always a visible line, and people instinctively know how to form said line. It is understood who is where within. There are ropes and poles to help people form the line and navigate their way through it on their way to the counter. There is no cutting in line. No exceptions. I do not suggest attempting it because everyone there is watching everyone else to make sure that they stay put. When you do finally arrive at the counter to order a frenzy of thought occurs: “did the barista get my order right? I hope he spelled my name correctly. I also hope there is no one else here with a similar name or a similar order. I don’t have time for that today!”

What I find so refreshing about this is that the Italians seem to have mastered the idea of not worrying about things that do not need to be worried about. “Everyone at the bar who wants a coffee gets one. They make it all seem so simple”.

Aaron Mann – United States
Global MBA in Design, Fashion and Luxury Goods, class 2015/2016

Apply